July 29, 2008

I don't know if that's possible

Leslie Anderson's lawyer, Bobbi Sternheim, appealed for leniency, saying that federal sentencing guidelines punished telemarketing too harshly.
Canadian gets 23 years in U.S. telemarketing scam

A telemarketer called me up last week and started reciting the details of my Sprint long distance bills, saying he could get me a better deal. I can't remember the name of his company, but he hung up on me pretty quick when I asked him where he was getting all those details.

Mostly the telemarketing calls I get are recordings. I don't understand the effectiveness of those. Who is going to sit there and listen to a recording? I guess people must.

This one time I got a telemarketing call at 2 a.m. I said, "Would you get off the line please? I'm watching Oral Roberts on TBN and trying to dial out so I can order a prayer cloth."

If a real human being telemarketer calls, I ask for their home number so I can call them back sometime while they're in the middle of eating dinner with their family. They usually hang up then also.

2 comments:

William Tyroler said...

I said, "Would you get off the line please? I'm watching Oral Roberts on TBN and trying to dial out so I can order a prayer cloth."

Next time, tell them you're trying to order a shamwow. (Healing properties as good, I'm sure, on top of which, if their promotional is accurate, more absorbent than a prayer cloth. Downside: they may try to close the deal themselves.)

Unknown said...

47 USC 227

Go wild, man.